BY BUDDY NEVINS
The nomination of Barbra Stern to the Election Commission was unanimously approved by the state Senate in the waning hours of the Legislative session Friday.
Other Broward notables approved were entrepreneur Ron Bergeron’s nomination to the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, business tycoon H. Wayne Huizenga and Fort Lauderdale power-lawyer Norm Tripp to the State University Board of Governors and private college queen Belinda Keiser to Enterprise Florida’s Board of Directors.
It was Stern’s nomination that became a statewide controversy.
Stern was questioned during her nomination hearing because of her co-ownership of a condo that state Sen. Maria Sacks allegedly uses to fake residency in her district .
She told the Senate Ethics and Elections Committee that her mother, well-known lobbyist and campaign consultant Judy Stern, managed the Fort Lauderdale townhouse. She said her mother gave her part ownership of the condo for estate planning purposes.
Meanwhile, Stern is using Facebook to lash out at those she perceive as her political enemies in the below note to a friend yesterday. (Numbers next to names are mine. See guide below for explanation.)
…Ron Gunzburger (1) who trolled through Ricki’s (2) Facebook. The rest is Michael Ahearn(3) (yes that one), Roger Stone (4) – Ron’s pal, Tom Lauder (5) aka Daily Broward – and the former Red Broward. Tom is the one who makes comments about mom being a salami server which I have reason to believe is code for hateful anti-Semitic comments. Just the usual Broward politics. No big deal for them to trash me but its Shame on Barbra for publicly chastising them and Stone’s connection to Sheriff Scott Israel and Ahean’s connection to Jack, Judge Dale Ross and school board member Katie Leach. Sorry folks but when you promote someone you take the good with the bad or else you shouldn’t promote. Lol
Miss Broward yet Cindy? Lol
Stern said her rant was prompted in part by the tweet below (click to enlarge):
There are other tweets and Facebook messages.
My view? Barbra Stern is collateral damage by political operatives who are out to get back at her mother, Judy Stern.
They all had falling out over Scott Israel’s sheriff’s race for reasons too arcane and ponderous to go into here.
Ain’t Broward politics fun?
Guide to those mentioned by Barbra Stern:
(1) Ron Gunzburger, son of Commissioner Sue Gunzburger, was a strategist behind Israel’s campaign victory. He was hired as Broward Sheriff’s Office’s chief legal adviser after Israel took office in Jan. 2012.
(2) Ricki (Stern) is Judy Stern’s other daughter who lives in New York City.
(3) Mike Ahearn is a lawyer and political consultant who once worked with Judy Stern and had a bitter falling out with her. He works against her at every opportunity, according to Stern. Ahearn is close to Fort Lauderdale Mayor Jack Seiler and managed campaigns for Judge Dale Ross and School Board member Katie Leach — all referred to in Stern’s comment.
(4) Roger Stone is a long-time national political figure who was involved in the Israel campaign. He has connections to the Internet website BrowardBugle, which has attacked both Judy and Barbra Stern.
(5) Tom Lauder writes RedBroward and writes for Media Tracker, two GOP-leaning websites. I know Lauder and have absolutely no reason to believe he is anti-Semitic. His writing is from a point of view, but are well done and accurate.